Xerox Copies: Mayan Ruins - Tikal



Artist Statement: As a descendent of Guatemalan heritage, my lineage traces back to the ancient Mayan civilization. That said, I thought it would be a cool opportunity to showcase the ruins - specifically Tikal - that were built in Guatemala. While this is not a traditional project - having to use my own body to recreate the structure - I thought it was pretty beautiful that I could use my own body to recreate a structure built by my people. Through the use of my arms, hands, and even face - along with the help of my roommate who wanted to be part of the project - each served their own purpose in the ruins. The arms served as the outline and base to the pyramid. The hands served as the steps/stairway for the pyramid. And, the faces served as comedic relief because they didn't accomplish anything with regards to the construction of the pyramid.


Inspiration:

Progress:

Step 1: The arms and middle fingers use to create the outline and stairs. 
Step 2: Hands were used to fill in the pyramid while acting as steps.
Step 3: Adding my roommate's and I's faces for laughs. 
Step 4: Final product. A one-foot ruler is place next to the pyramid for size comparison.


Some close-ups:





Comments

  1. I think it is a so cool that you did something to go with your heritage. The colors of the copies look like the actual brick in the photo and that makes it that much more realistic. I like the body parts that you chose because in order to build this structure, your people had to use the same body parts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grid Art: Mike Kazowski

Raul Cuero: Creativity